Divine intervention

Priests, Mexicans and Venezuelans = Monaco magic

No matter how close you are to the racing world, it's not possible to know everything that happens in all parts of it. That's what Alexa is currently telling everyone she meets after a clanger in the paddock this afternoon, anyway...

The series communications boss has become quite friendly with Sergio Perez's father Antonio ever since they joined the GP2 family for the Asia series, and she has been happy to help out with advice on spreading the word about his current racing form, as she does for all of our drivers. But she was more than a little confused when Antonio told her excitedly that Sergio's manager was in town for the weekend.

“I don't know why he was so keen for me to meet him,” she told us later, upstairs in the bus, “but he brought me over and said Alexa, this Adrian Fernandez: we shook hands and said hello, Antonio said maybe we should get some shots of him later, and then I came back here. But the strange thing is that there were loads of people around asking for his autograph: maybe more than were asking for Sergio's.”
“Of course they were: he's the most famous racing driver in Mexico.”
“Oh. Is that something that people know?”
“Everyone who works in racing does, anyway...”

She wasn't the only one having a tough day in the paddock: Pastor Maldonado was clearly struggling to repeat his usual peerless form in Monaco after a disappointing qualifying session where, to add insult to injury, he was handily beaten by his rookie teammate Nico Hülkenberg. Today's race wasn't much better for the Venezuelan: a gamble on an early pitstop meant that he was forever trying to find his way back up through the grid, and surviving a coming together with Kamui Kobayashi looked to be his only positive of the race.

“Yeah, it's not so good today,” he noted over lunch, looking downcast. Until, that is, the penalties were announced, which brought the old Pastor back to life. “You see? I am always first in Monaco!” he laughed about his newly applied eighth position for the feature race, which gives him pole for tomorrow's sprint race. “I just can't help it!”

Although all of his rivals will be hoping for a little of Paolo's divine intervention, the combination of Pastor Maldonado and pole position in Monaco looks fairly ominous for everyone else...

Comments

on Friday 22 May 2009 - 23:40 by Louise

I'd just like to say thanks for your work, David - great job, and now we get blogs every day on a race weekend - awesome :)

on Saturday 23 May 2009 - 00:13 by ANGRY

Horrible... the organization of the GP2 are the worst... 8 penalties by an incident that happened in the first lap? My god! Go home.

on Saturday 23 May 2009 - 00:13 by ANGRY

on Saturday 23 May 2009 - 13:26 by Hannah Banana

ANGRY, we can see that you are really ANGRY for posting this ANGRY post twice :-)

Louise: I agree. This is really cool indeed

on Saturday 23 May 2009 - 13:29 by GP2 Series

on Saturday 23 May 2009 - 19:03 by Donna

Agreed with enjoying the daily blog updates!

I also suspect the late application of penalties has more to do with the race stewards than those in charge of GP2..

on Saturday 23 May 2009 - 20:11 by EDDY

In the UK we normally watch GP" on eurosport but it is not there after searching I find the racing is on Setanta this is a subscribe channel which has one man and his dog watching because they lost nearly all the football to sky and nobody bothers with it any more I bet the sponsors are really thrilled that what was a decent coverage is now down to zero what idiot made this decision nobody in the UK is going to subscribe to for a whole year to watch GP2
eddy

on Saturday 23 May 2009 - 21:32 by Millie

I have to agree with Eddy, GP2 irrespective of FOM should be doing a much better job of TV schedules and promoting GP2 as a series. A1GP does a much better of job of promotion. GP2 is such a good series but it will fold eventually as the promotion of the series is pants. No wonder teams don't have their own sponsors how can you possible sell it!

on Sunday 24 May 2009 - 01:41 by Orkun

It is really nice blog entry ...

Maybe I would help about a "priest" in Istanbul..:)...We are waiting you in Istanbul with your air condition unit connected to hospitalty center..:)

Orkun

on Tuesday 30 Jun 2009 - 18:02 by terrie

Great blog. I so wish i had your job.